Thursday, May 26, 2011

Pearson Brown English Lesson - Phrasal Verb "look"

Today we’re going to start looking at the verb ‘to look’ combined with particles. Here are some of the most common:

to look after’ means to take care of someone or something.

* When I have to travel on business, my parents usually look after my children.
* I look after the office when my colleagues are away on business.

to look ahead’ means to think about and plan the future.

* We have to look ahead and try to estimate our needs for the next few years.
* In this business, it’s very difficult to look ahead and predict what will happen.

to look at’ means to read something quickly and not very thoroughly.

* Could you look at my report and tell me if you think it’s OK?
* I looked at your figures and they seem fine to me.

to look at’ can also mean to investigate or think carefully about a problem or situation.

* Costs are getting out of control. We need to look at them closely.
* John looked at renting cars but it would be too expensive.

to look back’ means to think about something that happened in the past.

* I realise I was very naive when I look back.
* If we look back over the last three years, we can see many times when we were very successful.

to look down on’ means to think something or someone is inferior.

* The people who work in Headquarters always look down on the people in the branches.
* Don’t look down on him just because he left school at 16. He has been very successful.

to look for’ means to try to find something lost or that you need.

* My assistant is leaving at the end of the month. I’m looking for a new one.
* He has been looking for a job for ages now.

to look forward to’ means to feel excited and happy about something that is going to happen.

* I’m seeing him on Tuesday. I’m really looking forward to it.
* We’re looking forward to our holidays. It will be wonderful to get away.

to look in’ means to visit someone for a short time.

* I’ll look in on my way home and we can have a cup of tea.
* Look in on Jenny and check that she is still working.

to look into’ means to examine a problem or situation.

* My boss asked me to look into ways to do it more efficiently.
* We have set up a working group to look into the problem.

Exercises:

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/lookphrasals1/exercise1.html
http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/lookphrasals1/exercise2.html
http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/lookphrasals1/exercise3.html

No comments:

Post a Comment