Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Pearson Brown English Lesson - Phrasal Verb "get Part 2"

Here is the second part about using the verb ‘to get’ combined with particles:

to get behind’ means to be late or behind schedule.

* I’ll stay late and finish it today. I don’t want to get behind with my work.
* We don’t want to get behind schedule on this project.

to get into’ means to become involved in, for example trouble or debt.

* I thought he’d get into trouble after the problems he caused.
* We got into debt when we had a lot of unexpected bills to pay.

to get on’ means to have a good relationship.

* I like working with him. We get on really well.
* He’s not an easy person. I don’t get on with him very well.

to get on’ can also mean to continue an activity.

* I must get on or I will never get this report finished.
* I can’t get on. He is always interrupting and asking me to jobs for him.

to get out’ means to leave a car or building

* I often don’t get out of work until after seven pm.
* After the accident, the door was stuck and I couldn’t get out of the car.

to get out of’ means to avoid doing something.

* I don’t want to do it. How can I get out of it?
* He is always getting out of the difficult jobs and I have to do them!

to get over’ means to communicate, to make people understand.

* They are not convinced. I didn’t get my ideas over very well.
* I just can’t get over the idea we need to be more careful. They just don’t want to understand.

to get over’ can also mean to recover from something.

* I still don’t feel very well. I haven’t got over that bad cold.
* She has not got over Richard. He broke her heart.

to get round to’ means to finally do something after a time

* Two months later, he finally got round to finishing that report.
* I’m sorry but I haven’t done it yet. I haven’t got round to it.

to get through’ means to contact by phone

* I’ve been trying all day. I can’t get through to her.
* I rang her ten times. I didn’t get through until almost seven in the evening.

Exercises:

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/getphrasals2/exercise1.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/getphrasals2/exercise2.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/getphrasals2/exercise3.html

No comments:

Post a Comment