Saturday, February 19, 2011

Pearson Brown English Lesson - Phrasal Verb "walk"

These exercises look at the verb ‘to walk’ combined with particles. Here are some of the most common:

‘to walk away’ means to leave an unpleasant situation that is difficult to deal with.

* You are responsible for this. You can’t just walk away.
* Don’t get involved in an argument. Just walk away.

‘to walk in on’ means to enter a room when someone is doing something private or personal.

* They were whispering. I think I walked in on a private conversation.
* He walked in on me when I was getting changed in my office.

to walk into’ means to unexpectedly get involved in something, usually unpleasant.

* I really didn’t see this coming. I just walked straight into it.
* I didn’t realise I was just walking into a trap. He planned it beautifully.

‘to walk into’ can also mean to get a job very easily.

* After university, he just walked into a very good job in the bank.
* Thanks to her father and his connections, she walked into a very well paid job.

‘to walk something off’ means to go for a walk to stop having unpleasant or angry feelings.

* The best thing to do was to go out and walk off my bad mood.
* I had a terrible headache but managed to walk it off.

‘to walk off with’ means to take something without permission or without paying for it.

* When they evacuated the shop, customers walked off with lots of things.
* Kate has just walked off with my sweater and new boots. She’s always doing that.

‘to walk out’ means to leave a meeting or performance before the end to show displeasure.

* He just walked out half way through and left us sitting there.
* Some of the audience walked out during the play, they weren’t enjoying it at all.

‘to walk out’ can also mean workers suddenly go on strike.

* All the technicians in production walked out in support of their pay claim.
* The drivers walked out when they heard that one of them had been sacked.

‘to walk out on’ means to leave someone you have a close relationship with.


* His girlfriend walked out on him after a big argument about money.
* My father walked out on us when I was very young.

‘to walk over’ means to treat someone very badly, especially by telling you what to do all the time.

* He just walks all over her. He does just as he pleases.
* He lets her walk all over him. He never says no to her.

Exercises:

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/walkphrasals/exercise1.html
http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/walkphrasals/exercise2.html
http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/walkphrasals/exercise3.html

No comments:

Post a Comment