Monday, January 3, 2011

Pearson Brown English Lesson - Phrasal Verb "take" part 3

Here is the third part of our look at some common expressions using the verb ‘to take ‘ combined with particles:

to take someone out’ means to spend time with them at the restaurant or cinema for example.

* He took me out on Friday night to a lovely restaurant.
* I took the children out for the day to the beach.

to take out’ money means to withdraw it from your bank account.

* I went to the cash machine and took out $100 this morning.
* He took out $1000 from his savings account to pay for his car.

to take out on’ If you take something out on someone it means that you are unpleasant to someone because you are angry or upset.

* Don’t take your anger out on me. It’s not my fault.
* When he’s fed up, he takes his anger out on his family.

to take over’ means to gain control of another company by buying it.

* All the high street shops have been taken over by the large chains stores.
* My parent’s factory was taken over by a large group that wanted production locally.

to take over’ a job or responsibility means you start doing it and replace the previous person who was doing it.

* I’ve taken over from Fiona. She left at the end of last month.
* Rafael takes over as Managing Director in June when Pierre retires.

to take over’ also means to become more important or successful than something else.

* It has now taken over as our biggest selling product.
* Less people buy CDs now. Buying on the internet has taken over as the way to buy music.

to take round’ means to take someone to a place and show them it.

* When I arrived, she took me round and introduced me to everyone.
* She took me round the house and showed me all the changes they had made.

to take through’ means to explain something to someone so they understand how to do it.

* He took me through the registration process and explained it all.
* I took Jim through the schedule and explained how it works.

to take to’ means to begin to like something.

* I’ve really taken to my French class. I enjoy it very much.
* I didn’t think she’d take to it but she seems to love it.

Exercises:


http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/takephrasals3/exercise1.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/takephrasals3/exercise2.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/takephrasals3/exercise3.html

No comments:

Post a Comment