Monday, January 3, 2011

Pearson Brown English Lesson - Phrasal Verb "take" part 2

Now let’s continue looking at some common expressions using the verb ‘to take ‘ combined with particles:

to take in’ means to let someone stay in your house as a guest.

* She is taking in paying guests to help pay for her house.
* She took in a lodger to help pay the mortgage.

to take in’ also means to deceive someone, to make someone believe something that is not true.

* I was completely taken in by him. I believed everything he said.
* Don’t be taken in by all the publicity. It’s a very expensive product.

to take in’ also means to understand, comprehend a situation.

* I just couldn’t take in what he was saying. It didn’t make sense.
* He was in shock and couldn’t take in what people were saying to him.

to take in’ also means to take something for repair.

* I took my car in this morning for a service.
* I’ll take it in and get it cleaned.

to take off’ means to remove something, especially clothes.

* I had to take my coat off when the sun came out, it was so warm.
* I wish he would take off his sunglasses so we can see his eyes.

to take off’ is also to be away from work for holidays or illness.

* He has never taken a day off in twenty years. He’s our best employee.
* I’m going to take a couple of days off to visit my parents.

to take off’ is also when a plane leaves the ground.

* The plane was over half an hour late taking off but we arrived on time.
* I hate taking off. I can’t see how the plane can get off the ground.

to take on’ means to begin to employ someone.

* Sophie has just been taken on with a permanent contract.
* We need to take on a couple of extra sales people as business is growing very fast.

to take on’ also means to accept a responsibility or a work.

* We’ve taken on too much work. We just don’t have enough staff to do it.
* We can’t take on any more new clients. We have too many already.

to take out’ means to remove something from a particular place.

* He took the picture out of the frame and gave it to me.
* She had to take everything out of her handbag before she found her papers.

Exercises:

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/takephrasals2/exercise1.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/takephrasals2/exercise2.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/takephrasals2/exercise3.html

No comments:

Post a Comment