Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Pearson Brown English Lesson - Phrasal Verb "stop"

These exercises are about using the verb ‘to stop ‘ combined with particles:

to stop away’ means to deliberately not go back to a place.

* Since the beach was polluted by petrol, people have been stopping away.
* After the terrorist attacks on London, tourists stopped away for a while.

to stop back’ means to return to a place at a later time.

* I didn’t have time to talk so I told him to stop back later when I had some free time.
* I’ll stop back on the way home from work and see how you are.

to stop behind’ means to stay in a place after everyone else has left.

* I stopped behind after the meeting to talk to Bill.
* Stop behind after class so I can give you some extra work to do.

‘to stop by’ means to visit a place quickly.

* I’m going to stop by Jim’s house on the way home.
* Stop by for a coffee when you are next here.

to stop in’ means to not go out.

* I’m not going to the cinema with them this evening. I’ve decided to stop in.
* I’m stopping in and watching TV tonight. I can’t afford to go out.

to stop off’ means to stay in a place in the middle of a journey.

* We stopped off in Paris on the way to Nice to visit some friends.
* I’ll stop off at the shops on the way home and buy some bread.

to stop out’ means to stay out late at night.

* When I was a student, I often stopped out all night and came home for breakfast.
* He often stops out all night during the holidays and comes home at dawn.

to stop over’ means to spend a night in a place in the middle of a journey.

* On the way to Australia, we are stopping over in Singapore.
* On the round the world ticket, we can stop over in five different countries.

to stop up’ means to not go to bed until much later than usual.

* Don’t stop up too late. You’ve got school tomorrow.
* We all stopped up until midnight to see the New Year in.

Exercises:

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/stopphrasals/exercise1.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/stopphrasals/exercise2.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/stopphrasals/exercise3.html

No comments:

Post a Comment