Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Pearson Brown English Lesson - Phrasal Verb "send"

Now we are going to look at the verb ‘to send’ combined with particles. Here are some of the most common:

to send away for’ something means to write to an organization to have something delivered to you.

* I couldn’t find it in the local shops. I had to send away for it.
* I don’t know what they are like. I’m going to send away for some samples.

to send back’ means to return something because it is not right or damaged.

* The food was cold when it was served so we sent it back.
* When it arrived, I didn’t like the colour so I sent it back.

to send for’ means to send a message asking someone to come to see you

* The baby was very ill so she sent for the doctor.
* I knew I was in trouble when the boss sent for me.

to send in’ means to send something to an organization.

* Please send in the completed forms before January 31st.
* The TV show is funny family videos that viewers send in.

to send someone in’ means to tell a person to enter a room or office.

* I’d like to speak to James. Can you send him in, please?
* I’m ready now. Can you send in the first patient?

to send off’ means to post a letter or parcel.

* You should have got it by now. I sent it off two days ago.
* I packed everything up and sent it off last week.

to send on’ means to forward a document or mail.

* Here is my new address. Can you send my mail on to me?
* My colleague is dealing with this. I’ll send a copy of your email on so she can deal with it.

to send out’ means to send to a lot of people at the same time.

* The wedding is in two months. We need to send out the invitations.
* We sent out copies of the new brochure to all our existing clients.

to send out’ also means to emit a sound or light.

* This tiny transmitter sends out a signal strong enough to be picked up a kilometre away.
* The phone mast sends out radio waves that some people think are dangerous.

to send out for’ means to phone an order to a restaurant for food to be delivered

* I don’t want to cook. Let’s send out for a pizza.
* It’s almost lunchtime. Shall we send out for some sandwiches or snack.

Exercises

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/sendphrasals/exercise1.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/sendphrasals/exercise2.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/sendphrasals/exercise3.html

No comments:

Post a Comment