Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Pearson Brown English Lesson - Phrasal Verb "run" part 2

Let’s continue looking at the verb ‘to run’ combined with particles. Here are some more of the most common expressions:

to run into’ someone means to meet them unexpectedly.

* I ran into Jane in reception. I hadn’t seen her for ages.
* Sara ran into her ex-boyfriend in the supermarket. She said it was very embarrassing.

to run on’ diesel or electricity means to use them for power in order to function.

* The motor runs on electricity so it’s very quiet.
* We have a generator that runs on diesel which we use during power cuts.

to run out of’ something means to have no more left.

* I can’t make a cake, we’ve run out of eggs.
* When I was a student and my money ran out, I lived on pasta.

to run out’ means to pass the time limit or expire.

* I need to get a new passport. It runs out next month.
* I hope they will give me a new contract when my present one runs out at the end of he month.

to run over’ means to hit with a vehicle.

* He’s in hospital. He was run over by a car last night.
* You need to know where everything is in case I’m run over by a bus!

to run through’ means to repeat or rehearse something to practice or check

* We quickly ran through the program to check that everything was OK.
* Can we run through it again just to be sure we haven’t forgotten anything.

to run to’ means to go to someone for help.

* She always runs to me when she needs some help.
* I’m too old to go running to my parents every time I need some money.

to run up’ debts or bills means to owe money.

* He very quickly ran up an enormous debt on his credit card.
* We ran up a big bill in the hotel drinking in the bar.

to run up against’ problems means to meet difficulties unexpectedly.

* We had no idea about the difficulties we would run up against.
* We ran up against a few problems at the beginning but now it’s fine.

Exercises


http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/runphrasals2/exercise1.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/runphrasals2/exercise2.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/runphrasals2/exercise3.html

No comments:

Post a Comment