Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pearson Brown English Lesson - Phrasal Verb "put" part 3

Let’s finish with the verb ‘to put’ combined with particles. Here is the final list of expressions:

to put money towards’ something means to use a sum of money to pay a part of the cost of something.

* When he died, he left me some money which I am going to put towards a house.
* I’m going to put my Christmas bonus towards my summer holiday.

to put up’ a building or structure means to erect.

* Where the old theatre used to be, they have put up a new apartment block.
* They’re putting up a new sports stadium just outside the town.

to put up’ something which is folded means to open it.

* She hit me with her umbrella as she was putting it up.
* It only took fifteen minutes to put up the tent.

to put up’ money means to provide money for a project.

* Without guarantees, the bank won’t put up any money for the project.
* The people in the city put up most of the money for the restoration of the theatre.

to put up’ a price means to increase it.

* We’re not making a profit. We need to put up our prices.
* Their prices are really high now because they have put them up by ten per cent.

to put someone up’ means to let them stay in your home for a short time.

* If you go to Australia, I’m sure some of the family will put you up during your stay.
* I can put you up for a few days while the painters finish your flat.

to put someone up to’ If you put someone up to something you encourage them to do something wrong or silly.

* I don’t think it was his idea. I think someone put him up to it.
* I wonder if John put him up to it. He wouldn’t have done it alone.

to put up with’ something means to tolerate it

* He’s impossible to work with. I don’t know how you put up with him.
* I really don’t like it but I know I’m going to have to put up with it.

Exercises

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/putphrasals4/exercise1.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/putphrasals4/exercise2.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/putphrasals4/exercise3.html

No comments:

Post a Comment